Residence Permit

Residence Permit

If you hold a foreign citizenship and intend to stay longer than three months, you will have to apply for a residence permit in the Ausländerbehörde (foreigners´ registration office) as your visa EXPIRES after a few months.

Depending on your purpose of stay and, therefore, your kind of visa, the residence permit allows you either to study, to work, or to stay for business or tourist purposes. Please consider that the initial issuance or extension of your residence permit may take from several weeks up to several months. Please plan ahead, e.g. to extend your residence permit in time.

Depending on where you live (Munich city or surrounding cities), there are different authorities in charge of issuing your residence permit.


When you live in Garching or outside Munich

you apply at the District Office Munich (Landratsamt).

The greater area of Munich (Landkreis München) consists of 29 districts and towns.
For more information on the application process please visit the website of the Landratsamt - unfortunately the website is only in German.

When you live in Munich

and are registered at “KVR/Bürgerbüro” then you have to apply at the Kreisverwaltungsreferat (KVR) by uploading your documents online (german only).
Once you submitted the necessary documents, you will get an appointment for ordering (not receiving) your residence permit card (eAT) within 2-8 weeks.


Go to Editor View