Registration as a Local Resident

Registration as a Local Resident

In Germany, it is compulsory to register at the residents’ registration office within two weeks after arrival and each time you move to another address.


Where to register?

Once you have arrived please register at the residents’ registration office (Einwohnermeldeamt) within two weeks after arrival. When moving to another place, you have to register again at the new address (if you first live in Garching and then move to Munich, you have to register your new address in downtown Munich again. And if you move within Garching, you have to notify change of address, too). If you do not register within two weeks you might get fined.

*Note that you do not need to register for temporary housing for less than three months.

For Munich

The offices in Munich (Einwohnermeldeamt at the Kreisverwaltungsreferat KVR) at which you can register are listed here: which also allows you to sign up for an appointment.

For Garching

In Garching you can sign up here for an appointment with the registration office (Einwohnermeldeamt) at the city council (Rathaus) online.


Which documents do I need?

  • Your national ID card or passport
  • The landlord's confirmation about a rental agreement form “Wohnungsgeberbestätigung” that your landlord need to complete together. If you do not receive such a confirmation, you can still register, but you will need to provide such a confirmation within two weeks.

This registration at the town council will trigger the following:

  • You will be registered with the Federal Tax Office. This means that you will receive your German tax ID number via mail within two weeks, which is necessary to receive your salary!
  • The German TV License office gets your address and will contact you (if you have not registered with them so far), in order to pay GEZ Gebühr of approx. 56 EUR per quarter (compulsory, no way to escape – unless you live in a shared flat, and someone else is already paying this fee - if this is the case you will need to let them know).
  • Your data will be forwarded to the Foreigners’ Registration Office (Ausländerbehörde) where you have to apply for your residence permit.


Other important formalities and registrations can be found here.


Go to Editor View