Macroscopic objects in the quantum regime (MCQST-Colloquium) (Prof. Eugene Polzik)
- Date: Mar 28, 2023
- Time: 02:30 PM (Local Time Germany)
- Speaker: Prof. Eugene Polzik
- Niels Bohr Institute/University of Copenhagen
- Location: Max Planck Institute of Quantum Optics
- Room: Herbert Walther Lecture Hall
These experiments pave the road towards simultaneous detection of arbitrarily small perturbations in both position and momentum, usually referred to as trajectories without quantum uncertainties. Progress towards application of those ideas to gravitational wave detectors  will be reported. Another intriguing goal is generation of single excitations and superposition states of large objects. An experiment demonstrating evidence of generation of a single quantum excitation of motion of a millimeter size mechanical oscillator  will be discussed. Finally, our atomic platform for multi-particle quantum simulations will be introduced.
1. Nature, 547, 191 (2017).
2. Nature Physics (2020) 10.1038/s41567-020-1031-5.
3. Phys. Rev. Lett. 121, 031101 (2018); Physical Review X Quantum (2022) 3 (2), 020362; Nature Comm., (2022) 13, 4815.
4. Optica, 7(6), 718 (2020).