Welcome to WiQO
The Women in Quantum Optics Postdoctoral Program
To expand on their research in the interdisciplinary field of quantum science and to promote the career of excellent early-stage female scientists, the Max Planck Institute of Quantum Optics (MPQ) founded the Postdoc Program for Women in Quantum Optics (WiQO).
The WiQO program offers:
- A two-year postdoctoral fellowship based at the Max Planck Institute of Quantum Optics
- A fixed-term employment contract according to TVöD for 2 years (public sector employment, E14) with flexible working conditions
- Advancement of your scientific excellence by leading a research project under the guidance of outstanding scientists
- Depending on the candidate’s research area, insight into and collaboration with the initiatives the MPQ is currently involved in: Attoworld, the Munich Quantum Valley, and the cluster of excellence Munich Center for Quantum Science and Technology (MCQST).
- Professional external coaching in the framework of a postdoc specific career-building program
- Participation in the Minerva FemmeNet postdoc mentoring scheme to benefit from the experience of highly qualified female scientists
- Active participation in postdoc networking events to increase your scientific visibility and to promote future interdisciplinary collaborations
- Seminars and training in the field of project management, science communication, entrepreneurship, career planning, leadership qualifications and work-life balance
- Organisation and implementation of distinguished speaker seminars
- Support in the preparation and submission of research proposals
- Childcare & reconciliation support (family office, reimbursement of childcare costs due to business travels etc)
The WiQO program offers applications focusing on one of the following research areas:
- Attosecond Physics
- Laser Physics and Spectroscopy
- Nonlinear Optics
- Quantum Chemistry
- Quantum Computing
- Quantum Dynamics
- Quantum Information Theory
- Quantum Many Body Systems
- Quantum Networks
- Quantum Optics
- Quantum Sensing and Metrology
- Quantum Simulation & Quantum Computing
- Ultrafast Science for Biomedicine
Applicants should have finished their PhD no more than four years prior to the application deadline. Doctoral students who will be awarded their degrees a maximum of six months after the application deadline will also be considered eligible to apply.
To apply, please enclose a
- curriculum vitae
- copy of relevant certificates
- list of publications
- brief description of your research interests (1000 characters max.)
- description of your scientific goals for the fellowship (5000 characters max.)
- and at least two referees who can provide the application committee with letters of recommendation
All applications must be made through the online application system, letters of reference should be sent directly to the application office (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The deadline for the next application round ends on 15 May 2023.
In a two-stage selection process, candidates who successfully passed the first stage will be invited to the MPQ Postdoc Interview Days in July 2023. Selection criteria are scientific excellence and an original research proposal. The starting date of the fellowship is flexible and should be within one year after application.
The link for submitting your application to the WiQO Postdoctoral Fellowship at the Max Planck Institute of Quantum Optics can be found here. All applications must be made through the online application system, letters of reference should be sent directly to the application office (email@example.com).
The MPQ considers itself as an inclusive and diversity-oriented employer and welcomes applications of all qualified applicants independently of their ethnicity, age, religion, sexual orientation, national origin or disabilities.