MSC in Engineering Physics
Theoretical Physics III: Quantum Mechanics II
Lecture: Reinhard Scholz
Tu 11:00 - 12:30, Th 8:45 - 10:15, PH 2271 (Garching)
Tutorial: Maria Eckholt, Jianhui Zhang
Tu 15.00 - 16.30, PH 3343 (Garching)
The lectures and the tutorials have been held during the winter semester 2006/2007.
First attempt: 16.02.2007 (written exam)
Summer semester 2007:
You can still contact us in case you have any doubts for the second attempt (oral exam)!!!
How can you reach us?!? Details here
- Introduction to quantum mechanics
- Quantum mechanics in classical fields
- Approximation methods
- Symmetries and angular momentum
- Many-body theory, second quantization
- Wave propagation, scattering theory
- Relativistic quantum mechanics
Comments to this sheet:
Lagrangians with covariant derivatives - Euler-Lagrange equations
Gauge invariance in 3.c
- C. Cohen-Tannoudji, B. Diu and F. Laloe, Quantum Mechanics II (Wiley-Interscience, Paris, 1977).
- J. J. Sakurai, Modern Quantum Mechanics (Addison-Wesley, New York, 1994).
- L. Fetter and J. D. Walecka, Quantum Theory of Many-Particle Systems (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1971).
- P. L. Taylor and O. Heinonen, A quantum approach to condensed matter physics (Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, 2002).
You can have a quick view to this book here
- J. D. Bjorken and S. D. Drell, "Relativistic Quantum Mechanics (International series in pure and applied physics.)" (Mcgraw-Hill, New York, 1964).
- W. Greiner, "Relativistic Quantum Mechanics: Wave Equations" (Springer, Berlin, 1990).
You can have a quick view to this book here.
Reinhard Scholz, WSI S204, Tel. 089/28912-752.
Maria Eckholt, MPQ G2.28, Tel. 089/32905-735.
Jianhui Zhang, MPP 335, Tel. 089/32354-317.
- How to find us? Campus
- Nanosystems Initiative Munich 
- Experimental Quantum Physics 
- Arnold Sommerfeld Center for Theoretical Physics 
Some suggestions for the winter time in Munich:
- 30 different types of chocolate... :-p 
- Tollwood Festival - A bit of everything: music, theather, market, food... 
- Christmas markets in Munich - They are everywhere! 
- The market in Marienplatz (from the tourist office)
- Nuremberg's Christmas market - the biggest and a beautiful city! 
- Bayern ticket - the cheapest way to travel within Bavaria 
- Ideal time to be more sporty!